Friday, April 29, 2011

First steps

I prepared the tank with about 1 inch water treated with Start Right water conditioner and a touch of aquarium salt.  I placed a small shallow bowl upside down in the tank as well to serve as a ramp for the little guys to rest on.  I then very carefully moved all 3 of the turtles from the Tupperware/Rubbermaid container into the water.  They still had a bit of yolk attached to them at this point.  I kept careful watch over them for the next week or so, waiting for the rest of their yolks to be absorbed.  Once they were yolk-free I went out and bought a small container of worms from the local gas station.  I cut small sections off a worm and fed them to the little guys as often as they would eat.  After a few weeks they were all very eager to eat as often as I could feed them.  At this point I added more water, up to about 4 inches.  After a few weeks at this level they started to display their own unique personalities.  I'll go more into that later.

38 comments:

  1. I've always been interested in knowing what it would be like to have a turtle as a pet; i've wanted one since I was small but they're not really common pets here, so it's difficult to come by them :( +Following, keen for updates:>

    ReplyDelete
  2. You sound like you have everything in check :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man this is really interesting. Following for updates. I wish I could get a hold of some exotic pets, might need to wait until I can move out and afford them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. glad your little guys are still doing good, i wish them well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. sweet, looking forward to hear more of them

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope you have better luck than I did. Poor little turtle didn't last long.

    ReplyDelete
  7. thats so awesome! i have a mate with a couple of turtles, he's also brought them up from a very young age, theyre huge now haha!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Keep going bro, they're hard to look after but its worth it ;D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really interesting post. Turtles are amazing and live to a right old age. Ill be back to this Blog no problem.

    ReplyDelete
  10. how about some glo-fish? +follow

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yeah, you should definitely upload some pictures! This sounds like it would be really interesting to actually see. I have a pet turtle that is 18 years old now.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Can't wait to know about their personalities =)
    Pics please!

    ReplyDelete
  13. tell me about the personalities

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds good, i used to have 2 terrapins, they are very good but had to sell them because they got too big and didn't have enough money at the time :(

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cant wait for more updates :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Worst thing is the cleaning :/

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thake some pictures bro!! interesting post... following

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looking forward to hearing more, some pictures too maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  19. add some pictures and make the recipe in standard format

    ReplyDelete
  20. Duuuude I would love to have turtles. It'd be great if you started posting pics!

    ReplyDelete
  21. this is sooo cool. thanks for posting such a great story. I want to know what happens to the little guys next.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ooo what kind of turtle do you have? I have a Diamondback Terrapin!

    ReplyDelete
  23. want to see some pictures!
    followed!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I agree need some pics on this!

    ReplyDelete