Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Incubation

I built the incubator out of a 5 gallon fish tank half filled with water with a submersible heater preset to 80 degrees.  I placed a Tupperware container half filled with moist vermiculite in the fish tank floating in the water.  I made 3 indentations large enough for the eggs to sit in and placed them in the indentations gently.  I then put the Tupperware lid on (with holes in it) and saran wrapped the top of the fish tank and placed the whole assembly into a shaded spot in our bedroom.  This setup maintained the proper humidity and temperature for the eggs.  I checked daily to make sure the temperature wasn't fluctuating too much and that the vermiculite wasn't losing moisture.  And so began the long wait.  More information come.

No comments:

Post a Comment